Seaweed and Psoriasis

• posted by Toddles
    on

Michael mentions Pia Winberg and the surprising, and unexpected, results of one of the study group who suffered from psoriasis which cleared when taking the seaweed capsules she is trialling. While waiting for her capsules to become available in the UK can anyone recommend a good brand of seaweed capsule I could try please?

• posted by Dot
    on

I am very keen to know about the availability of seaweed capsules in Australia.

• posted by Deanna
    on

Another Australian here, keen to find try them 🙂

• posted by Pia Winberg
    on

Hi there – there are not many seaweed capsules available that concentrate the dietary fibres needed for the gut health benefits. Seaweed capsules that are currently available are often straight milled seaweed and need to be dosed carefully to avoid too much iodine. But as long as you stay within 5g per day and avoid kombu (high iodine) you will at least be boosting some kinds of seaweed dietary fibres. Or you can eat 5g of sushi roll seaweed (nori) which isn’t hard to do. However we can keep you abreast of the concentrated, fibre-capsule availability in the next few months at http://www.phyco.com.au
    Best
    Pia

• posted by Santolini
    on

I am also trying to find seaweed supplements for my psoriasis, its frustrating that the book implies that things are available when they are not. I cant find a way to print the diet sheets from the website either, any suggestions?

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Santolini: See the thread entitled ‘Remove & Repair Meal Planner’ in the Newbies forum.

You may well find that, as you cycle through the Remove & Repair and Reintroduction stages of the Clever Guts diet, you simply don’t need a seaweed supplement. As their name implies, spplements should be an add-on to a properly balanced and very varied wholefood diet. Which is exactly what you are embarking on. 🙂

Pia’s initial study group is likely to be quite specific: Australian (very different sunlight to Scotland or Canada), clinically overweight or obese (excess body fat promotes inflammation) for a start. The volunteers will have been advised not to otherwise alter their diet or lifestyle, but those on the seaweed obviously consumed more fibre , and probably less sugar and refined carbs (lower cravings).

• posted by cheese83
    on

Hello,
    My husband and i have started on the Clever guts journey and have been really enjoying it. We haven’t been super strict since getting to the reintroduction phase but more often then before we have really improved our eating. Both of us have lost around 5kg in weight.

Why I’m writing here is that around the same time my husband developed a really bad rash, finally going to dr and trying different things he now has the result of a skin biopsy that he has psoriasis/dermatitis and its not the contact form. Which is very strange to us as if anything we have really improved our not so bad diet to since this skin condition has developed. He is gong on a course of steroids and see what happens, not something that we like to do long term. I remembered about the seaweed research and we also live in Australia.

If anyone has bought seaweed capsules and see the results please can you reply – very keen to really up our anti in the clever guts area and help treat his skin.

thank you! Nicole

• posted by Msara
    on

Sorry to hear about your husband’s rash. I’ve not bought any seaweed capsules but would certainly try them if my psoriasis returned. If he’s on steroids though you’d not be sure which was helping.
    Good luck. Hope it clears quickly.

• posted by SarahAP
    on

I’m in NSW and very keen to buy the seaweed capsules as well – am just about to embark on the Remove and Repair phase of my gut flora journey – any advice on what you do when going out and sharing a meal? Is it OK to occasionally diverge from the path or do you have to start all over again?

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

SarahAP: See the ‘Plan Ahead’ paragraph (p.188 of the CG book). It is important to know *exactly* what you have eaten or drunk from the start of your detailed food and symptom diary, and throughout the elimination/ ‘remove and repair’ phase. If these suggest any food allergies or intolerances, you need to be strict during the reintroduction phase too (sorry!).

This is because even a tiny amount of soy, wheat, eggs, nuts or milk can cause problems for susceptible individuals. A reaction can be delayed or swift, and you can’t be sure exactly what you have been exposed to unless you ‘supervise’ the chef and all their lackeys!

If your health issues are primarily down to an imbalanced, poor quality, processed or low variety diet you may have more flexibility. You may be able to eat out, if sticking to the basic principles (a little wine, fish, veggies, cheeseboard and fruit, coffee say).

• posted by Pia Winberg
    on

Dear all who have been looking for access to concentrated seaweed fibre sources, we have been overwhelmed with interest since our first clinical study and we are now wrapping up the second one where we had 50 participants with skin conditions. In order to be able to scale this to meet the demand we have started an Indiegogo pre-order campaign which means we can then scale faster. You can see the full story and the capsules, as well as other seaweed food products that are easy to eat everyday at https://igg.me/at/phycohealth
    In addition to our clinical study participants, many people have contacted me directly and expressed their improved condition since simply being focused on their diet more and following Clever Guts approaches to food. This is great and hopefully with seaweed available now in a form that is easy and accessible in concentrated doses without too much iodine, this can be a part of your regime. It is wonderful that people can start to take charge of their health and learn for themselves what is working for them – we all have a unique gut and unique ways to improve it.
    Best
    Pia

• posted by JenLR
    on

Dear all

You will have seen Dr Pia Winberg’s posting about her concentrated seaweed fibre products.
    I was excited and keen to sample and trial some of these to help with my psoriasis issues. So she kindly set up a perk combining some of the products I wished for. You can find them here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/improve-your-health-with-unique-seaweed-solutions-food-vegan/x/18892440?secret_perk_token=ac275e1d#/
    I also purchased her snacks as they look really delicious.

Warmly J

• posted by healthkitchen
    on

I am also looking forward to trying the new seaweed fibre, in the mean time I have a powdered seaweed extract (not ground up seaweed) that may help. Also a phytoplankton cream from Canada which clears up psoriasis – this one is sold in pharmacies. you can email me for more info if you like.

• posted by Toddles
    on

Hi Healthkitchen

I was very interested to read your post about the powdered seaweed extract and phytoplankton cream and would love more information from you as you have obviously already tried it and found it cleared psoriasis. If you could let me know brand names that would be really helpful especially if I am ordering from Canada (I am in the U.K.) and incurring shipping costs.
    I have ordered the tablets from Dr Winberg’s website but as there is a delay in getting these I would like to hear more about any other possible alternatives to steroids or light treatment neither of which seem to be helping my son-in-law on a long term basis.

Many thanks.

Kind regards
    F

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Toddles: Has your son-in-law discussed the potential impact of diet and personal care habits/ products with health professionals (dermatologist/ registered dietician/ pharmacist) recently? Other sources of up-to-date information include websites of charities focussed on dermatological disorders, or organisations that register health professionals.

Food allergies or food intolerances can sometimes manifest as a skin condition. The diet can be nutrient dense and anti inflammatory or nutrient deficient and inflammatory. A detailed food and symptom diary (p.187-188) will help identify any imbalances, intolerances or insufficiencies.

Common ingredients in skincare or haircare products can irritate or further damage a genetically faulty skin barrier. Even when very dilute: my large elbow patch of eczema/ dermatitis was triggered by shampoo *bubbles* running down my arm! Others have found that ‘paddling’ in soapy shower water worsens skin issues on the feet.

HTH!

• posted by healthkitchen
    on

Hi Toddles,
    I import the high nutrient extract to Australia and encourage people to add 1 tsp of it to a batch of cultured veg (1 whole white cabbage) for extra minerals & as a prebiotic. It does contain iodine (which most of us need a little) so its important to not have too much of it at once. It provides trace minerals Australian soils are lacking. The seaweed extract comes from clean water in Patagonia.
    The phytoplankton cream I have imported from Canada and have limited supply – it is a large size tube and there are many testimonials for recovery from all kinds of skin conditions – they may be taking the phytoplankton tablets as well. The phytoplankton is farmed in a pharmaceutical grade lab in Canada. I encourage everyone to aim for a diverse and large population of microbes from fermented foods & consuming enough raw prebiotics as this is key. Here is a link to my site: https://www.healthkitchen.com.au/

• posted by Argussie
    on

I am just one person who has had psoriasis for sixty years. Mine is the kind that gets worse in sunshine so I always have to cover up, though I know that this is unusual. I followed the above suggestion and tried liquidising 5g (that’s 2 1/4 sheets) of sushi nori from the supermarket in vegetable soup. After a daily dose for about five weeks my psoriasis more or less cleared up. I still had to protect myself from sunshine. I don’t know if it was the nori, my age or something else, but I would say it could be worth a try.

• posted by Andy Small
    on

Hi, I’ve just seen this, so you may have worked it out already.
    If not, Windows 10 has a “snipping” app, it’s in Windows Accessories.
    Get your recipe (or anything else) on screen, open the snipping tool (I keep mine on the task bar) and select New.
    Then all you have to do is draw a box around the area you wish to keep, save it to your Recipe folder, from where you can print it out 🙂
    Hope this helps someone, if not you.
    Andy

Please log in or register to post a reply.